Recipe for Box of Henna Powder, 100 grams
- In a bowl, combine the box of henna (100 grams) with enough lemon juice to form a thick dough (it's usually a bit less than 1 cup lemon juice) and 1 ounce essential oils 'terps', 1/4 cups sugar.
- Stir Stir Stir. The henna texture will change as the powder absorbs the liquids. Keep stirring until your paste is well combined.
- Cover completely and let sit in a warm location, 75-80 degrees F, for 24 hours. Use a thermometer to monitor temperature and avoid direct sun.
- Once your henna as rested, test the consistency and add a few drops of lemon juice at a time until it's perfect. We like our henna to ribbon smoothly of a spoon like a thick cake batter. Others prefer a stiffer mix, that stands in peaks.
- To test for dye release/readiness put a big dot on the palm for 5 minutes - stain should be bright orange. If its wimpy color let the paste sit a few more hours, test again.
- Fill your applicator and create gorgeous, unique henna designs on your friends and family!
- Store leftover paste in the freezer for optimal freshness, up to 6-12 months. Every time you defrost and refreeze it'll lose some potency and stain power, so we recommend dividing into single serving sizes for storage.