Amla is the dried fruit of the Indian Gooseberry and can be added to henna/indigo hair treatments to tone down the red and create a deeper, browner tone. Amla is a wonderful and safe, chemical free botanical hair and skin treatment.
• Gives henna hair treatments a cooler, more brown tone
• Adds volume to hair
• Adds shine to hair
• Enhances Curls and Texture
• Will not dry out skin or hair
• Facial Scrub and Exfoliant.
• Excellent facial toner and is a natural astringent
Achieve beautiful cool shades of reds, mahogany, dark browns and blacks shades by adjusting your Henna and Indigo hair treatments with Amla.
Go cool brown with Amla added to Henna/Indigo paste mixes for your custom color.
HOW MUCH DO YOU NEED?:
1 Packet for Short Hair (100 grams powder mixed into paste)
2 Packets for Shoulder Length Hair (200 grams powder mixed into paste)
3 Packets for Long Length Hair (300 grams powder mixed into paste)
4+ Packets for Waist Length or Extra Thick Hair (400 grams powder mixed into Paste) Curly hair may need an extra packet
1. GATHER SUPPLIES
• Natural Amla and Henna/Indigo Powder Herbal Hair Dye and any other herbal dyes you’ll be using
• Mixing Liquid: Water, Chamomile Tea, Apple Juice, Orange or Lemon Juice
• Big Mixing Bowl
• Measuring Cup
• Smock or an old towel
• Plastic shower Cap or Saran Wrap
2. MIX IT UP
- Mix 1 Packet (100 grams) of natural Henna with 1 Cup water *add 1 cup liquid for each packet of herbal dye you’ll be using
- Mix well, add more liquid till it's a yogurt like consistency
- Let sit for 20 minutes
- Add the Amla and/or Indigo Powder and mix well, add more liquid till it's a yogurt like consistency
- Let sit for 10 minutes then apply to hair
3. Protect your skin, clothes and work area
Clip a smock or an old towel around your neck to prevent clothing and shoulders from becoming stained.
• Apply a coat of ointment, Desitin, coconut oil, Vaseline, etc. along temples and hairline to prevent skin from becoming stained.
4. PREP YOUR HAIR
• Begin with freshly washed (skip the conditioner), towel-dried hair. Though dry hair works fine too.
• For the most even coverage of roots apply the Henna and Amla/Indigo paste in sections.
• Divide your hair into 4 or more sections depending on length and thickness.
• Clip each section to hold it out of your way.
5. APPLY HERBAL HENNA HAIR DYE
• Wear gloves to prevent your hands and nails from becoming stained
• Working with a small section of hair at a time apply Henna, Amla and Indigo paste beginning at the roots making sure each section is thoroughly covered from root to ends.
• Move on to the next section of hair.
• When all your hair is evenly covered with Henna, Amla and Indigo paste, pile it on the top of your head
• Clip the pile of hair to hold it in place.
6. WRAP IT UP
Wrap your head with saran wrap or a plastic shower cap to prevent the paste from drying out or staining furniture or bedding
7. CHILL OUT Let the Henna and Amla, Indigo paste soak on your hair for 2-4 hours. Henna works best with a bit of warmth.
For richer, deeper color use a blow dryer to keep your hair warm or take a seat and relax out in the sunshine.
8. WASH, WASH, WASH IT OUT
Pop in the shower and wash the Henna, Amla, and Indigo out! Skip the shampoo today, but give it a good does of conditioner.
Dry as usual.
9. REPEAT AS DESIRED
Reapply or touch up roots as needed. Henna and Indigo are natural dyes and can be used as frequently as you’d like. The color will deepen and be richer with multiple applications.
ROOT TOUCH-UPS Just want to cover those greys? No problem!
Mix a small batch of henna, 2-4 Tablespoons following the above directions.
Then add 1-2 Tablespoons Indigo powder and a pinch of Amla and let sit for 10 minutes before use.
Apply Henna and Indigo herbal hair dye paste to just the new growth
Wrap up with saran wrap or shower cap
Allow to soak on hair for 1-4 hours
Skip the shampoo, rinse out with your favorite conditioner.
Dry as usual
THAT EARTHY SMELL: It’s all natural leaves and herbs and does have an earthy plant-like scent. There are no chemicals or perfumes added to cover up the plants natural smell. You can add a few drops of your favorite essential oil to your paste if you’d like. The scent will fade over time as you wash your hair.